With just days before my sister’s wedding in January, I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis. After trying everything at the local pharmacy and not getting any results, I finally heeded my mother’s advice and had a hot toddy. With one skeptical eyebrow raised, I sipped down this hot, boozy beverage and found my throat soothed. I wrote about the delicious experiment for ThriveWire, including a surefire toddy recipe if you’re feeling under weather…or just sick of the weather most of the U.S. is experiencing!
Hot Toddy for Two
- 2 cups water
- 5-10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small piece of peeled ginger root
- 1 piece of lemon peel
- ½ to 1 cup of whiskey
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice*
- 2 teaspoons of honey*
- Sprinkle of grated nutmeg*
- Pour the water, cloves and cinnamon into a small pan. Heat until the liquid begins to simmer.
- Thoroughly rinse two mugs under running hot water. This step is key to ensuring the toddy stays hot.
- Pour whiskey into the mugs and then pour the hot liquid over it. (Remove the cloves!)
- Stir in honey and lemon juice to taste. Sprinkle with a little nutmeg if desired.
2 thoughts on “Whiskey may be just what the doctor ordered…”